Meteor Garden Disclaimer --Y.
To be clear, I do not condone the verbal abuse and the physical/sexual assault actions of the actors involved, yet I find myself deeply compelled to watch what happens next. As a mom of boys, women and girls need to be treated with respect, no means NO and this is where I slink off the moral podium and fall back into my day-dreaming ways…like “what is Daoming Si doing?”
To also be clear, I do not have time for this. I’m an executive at a public company with a demanding job, 3 young kids, married to my dream husband who owns his own business – so I’m busy, literally writing this as I wait in the parking lot to pick up 1 son from Chinese school…yet somehow Meteor Garden has made its way into my life, and it’s here to stay.
The risks you take watching this show:
· High probability of neglecting your children (if you have any)
· Personal hygiene may fall to the wayside
· You’ll catch yourself humming their theme song at random moments of the day, and if you didn’t like the song “Say Something (I’m Giving Up On You)” by A Great Big World, you’re in for a world of hurt. That’s me.
· You’ll wonder if life will ever be the same, once you’re done watching the series
On the plus side:
· My mandarin has improved quite a bit, and "Dà Bèndàn” is now a more rated PG expression I can use for @#$!-heads
· I have lost more than 2 pounds, forcing myself to exercise when watching the show
· I have connected with friends near and far, from my childhood to my adult life, and have woven them into this Meteor Garden ---Weeds, we are. (You’ll understand this after you watch the show).
If this is how my mid-life crisis is going to manifest itself, so be it.